Sponsor

This project made possible by funding from The West Oxford Agricultural Society ~ presenter of The Fryeburg Fair

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Crocheted Hyperbolic Plane - Work in Progress

How can I furl you.... Let me count the ways....

I LOVE the hyperbolic plane pattern created by Daina Taimina! I used 20 chain stitches to begin and have increased at a rate of one for every thirteen stitches. I am using single crochet and have about 3 1/2 skeins of acrylic Red Heart Super Saver Yarn into it and am using a G hook...... slow going :-) BUT.... I am loving the results!

What I so love about this shape is that as it grows, you end up with a piece than can be furled into so many lovely shapes.



This first photo is the piece laying flat. The bottom is the original edge of 20 stitches which measures about 6 1/2". As you can see from the 12" ruler that I laid on it, the piece is now about 2' across. The edge however, measures about 32'. Yup you read it right. 32'! From bottom to top edge measures only 15". Isn't that crazy??? It takes forever to complete one row now.

I'm not sure how far I will get with this piece. I'm a bit ADD and get bored with things when they go on too long. My original intention was to make this piece using 7 skeins of yarn. I chose 7 randomly based on how many skeins of the color was in stock when I bought it. We'll see how far I get :-)

Here are a few other photos of the wonderful ways you can furl the piece into beautiful shapes. What I haven't experimented with yet but might try once I feel complete with it, is to run a wire in the edge that will allow me to shape it in even more ways. So many choices!

This is the same piece simply rolled up. It ends up looking like a large bouquet or one huge flower!




And my absolute favorite.... A free form arrangement that I did by simply curling and folding it on itself.

Now we will just have to decide how and where it will be placed in the final installation. I can't wait!

I'm still waiting for your pics of either completed or works in progress. Won't you share with us?

Happy creating!

Until next time......

No comments:

Post a Comment